What Happens If You Swallow Mouthwash?

What Happens If You Swallow Mouthwash? If you swallow the mouthwash, don’t panic!

While it may seem like it would be really bad to swallow mouthwash, it’s actually not such a big deal—it won’t burn or give you any pain. It tastes bad, but you’ll end up with it pretty quickly (no pun intended). In fact, swallowing mouthwash probably won’t do you anything!


What is Mouthwash Made Of?

First of all, not just anything can be called mouthwash. In order to be considered mouthwash, a product has to have been approved by either a federal or state agency for use in oral care and contain at least one antiseptic agent (i.e., alcohol). This helps ensure that it is safe for daily use on your teeth and gums. Most mouthwashes also contain ingredients like fluoride or botanicals that claim to whiten your teeth, remove plaque, prevent gingivitis or freshen breath.

What Are The Health Risks Of Swallowing Mouthwash?

At first glance, it might seem perfectly safe to swish and swallow mouthwash. After all, most are alcohol-based products that would require a pretty significant amount of ingesting to have any significant effect on your body. But while mouthwash may seem like no big deal, there are risks associated with swallowing it.

While nothing is likely to happen if you eat or drink one or two times your daily recommended dose of mouthwash, drinking it in excess could cause some serious problems. For example, eating or drinking too much mouthwash can make you nauseous due to its high alcohol content.

What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Swallowing Mouthwash?

Stomach pain and mouth irritation are common side effects of ingesting Listerine. According to OraHealth, some people might experience fever, stomach cramps, vomiting or diarrhea after drinking or swallowing mouthwash. There is little research on what happens if you swallow mouthwash, so most information comes from anecdotal reports and word-of-mouth.

what happens if you swallow mouthwash-Tastefullspace

It’s important to remember that everyone’s bodies react differently to different things, so while there may be a general consensus regarding one reaction to a particular substance (say, Listerine), that doesn’t mean everyone will experience that reaction. In addition, what happens if you swallow mouthwash might depend on whether your body absorbs it or just rinses it away.

How Can I Treat An Overdose On Mouthwash?

One of the benefits of mouthwash is that it’s widely available and affordable. It can be purchased over-the-counter at pharmacies, grocery stores, and online. While many mouthwashes have antiseptic properties that kill harmful bacteria, some contain ingredients like alcohol or sugar which can cause adverse reactions if consumed in large amounts.

In rare cases, an overdose on mouthwash can lead to irreversible brain damage or death. Those who suspect they have overdosed on mouthwash should seek immediate medical attention. Treatment options include intravenous fluids and removal of any remaining mouthwash from their body using a stomach pump or emesis (vomiting). If you suspect you have overdosed on mouthwash, call 911 immediately or visit your local emergency room.

Final Words!

When it comes to mouthwash, you have options: Just spit or swallow! If you do choose to swallow mouthwash, there is one word of caution. It is not good for humans to ingest alcohol, since that could cause organ damage. So be sure that if you choose to rinse with alcohol-based mouthwash, you do so in small amounts—and wait a while after using it before consuming any alcoholic beverages. When in doubt, just spit your mouthwash out and brush your teeth like a normal person!

Lily Williams

I am an Author and what makes me the one is my ability of playing with the words.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *