The Common University Entrance Test (CUET) is a highly sought-after national-level entrance exam designed for aspiring students seeking admission to undergraduate programs at prestigious central universities and other renowned participating universities across India. As an authoritative body, the National Testing Agency (NTA) meticulously publishes the crucial details such as CUET eligibility criteria, comprehensive exam patterns, and many other invaluable insights to aid students in their preparation. However, at present, eager applicants await the imminent release of the CUET official notification for the year 2024. While waiting in anticipation, we encourage you to peruse this informative article thoroughly. It will provide you with an in-depth understanding of the CUET eligibility criteria as well as guide you through the multifaceted admission process associated with CUET.
CUET Eligibility Criteria: Unreserved Category
- All candidates appearing for CUET must have passed Class 12 or an equivalent examination from a recognized board.
- The minimum marks required for CUET eligibility vary depending on the university and the program to which the candidate is applying. However, in general, candidates must have scored a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in Class 12 (45% for SC/ST candidates).
- Some universities may also have specific subject requirements for CUET eligibility. For example, candidates applying for a B.Sc. (Hons.) program in Physics may be required to have studied Physics in Class 12.
- The nationality of the student shall be Indian.
- The candidates can appear for CUET while they are attempting the qualifying examination. The condition is the candidate will have to present the result during the counselling process.
Note: Candidates are advised to check the specific eligibility criteria for the universities and programs to which they are applying on the official websites of the universities.
CUET Eligibility Criteria: Reserved Category Candidates
- Reserved category candidates, including SC (Scheduled Caste), ST (Scheduled Tribe), OBC (Other Backward Class), and PWD (Persons with Disabilities) candidates, are eligible for specific relaxations in the CUET eligibility criteria. For instance, these candidates may need to achieve a lower percentage of marks in Class 12 in order to meet the eligibility requirements of CUET. These relaxations aim to provide equal opportunities and promote inclusivity in the admission process.
Note: Reserved category candidates are advised to check the specific eligibility criteria for their category on the official website of NTA.
How to apply for CUET
Once you have fulfilled the CUET eligibility criteria, you can apply for the CUET exam. Here is a step-by-step guide to apply for CUET.
Step 1: Visit the website of the National Testing Agency (NTA)
The first step is to visit the official website of the National Testing Agency (NTA) at https://nta.ac.in/.
Step 2: Click on the “CUET (UG) 2024” link on the homepage
Once you are on the NTA website, click on the “CUET (UG) 2024” link on the homepage.
Step 3: Click on the “New Registration” link
On the CUET (UG) 2024 homepage, click on the “New Registration” link.
Step 4: Fill out the registration form
To complete the online registration process, you will be prompted to furnish certain details. This includes your personal information — full name, date of birth, gender, and contact information. Additionally, please ensure to provide your academic qualifications, such as the mark sheets for Class 10 and 12, as it will be required for the registration.
Step 5: Upload the required documents
The required documents that you need to upload are:
- A scanned copy of your passport-size photograph
- A scanned copy of your signature
- A scanned copy of your Class 12 mark sheet
Step 6: Pay the application fee
The application fee for CUET varies depending on the category of the candidate. For general category candidates, the fee is $50, while for reserved category candidates, the fee is $30. You can conveniently pay the application fee through an online payment gateway using a credit card or choose offline payment options such as bank transfer or cash deposit.
Step 7: Submit the application form and print the confirmation page
Once you have paid the application fee, submit the application form and print the confirmation page for your records.
Things to keep in mind while applying for CUET
Important points to keep in mind:
- The CUET application process is completely online.
- You can submit only one application form for CUET.
- If you make any mistakes in the application form, you can correct them by following the instructions on the official website.
- You will receive an email and SMS confirmation once you have successfully submitted your application form.
- You can track the status of your application form on the official website.
CUET Exam Pattern
CUET is a computer-based test (CBT) that is conducted in three sections:
- Section IA: Language (13 languages to choose from)
- Section IB: Language (20 Languages to choose from)
- Section II: Domain-specific subjects (27 subjects to choose from)
- Section III: General Test
The examination is conducted in two slots, carefully designed to accommodate candidates’ needs. In the first slot, the allocated duration for the exam is precisely 3 hours and 15 minutes, providing ample time for thorough completion. Similarly, in the second slot, candidates are granted a slightly extended duration of 3 hours and 45 minutes, allowing them to approach the exam with a composed mindset.
To maintain fairness and equal opportunity, candidates are provided with 45 minutes for each section of the exam, except for the General test, where a generous 60-minute duration is allotted. The comprehensive paper will consist of multiple-choice questions, ensuring a well-rounded evaluation of the candidate’s knowledge and skills.
The scoring mechanism for the Chittagong University of Engineering and Technology (CUET) entrance exam includes a unique feature of negative marking. For each correct response, 5 marks are added to the total score, reflecting the candidate’s accuracy. However, for incorrect answers, a deduction of 1 mark is imposed, emphasizing the importance of careful decision-making. Additionally, it is worth noting that the questions left unanswered do not affect the overall score, as no marks are added or deducted from the total score in such cases, ensuring a fair evaluation process.
CUET Admission Process
After the CUET results are declared, participating universities will release their cut-off scores for admission to different programs. These cut-offs are determined based on various factors such as the number of seats available, the difficulty level of the test, and the overall performance of the candidates. Once the cut-offs are announced, candidates who meet the specified scores will be eligible for counselling and further admission procedures. This ensures a fair and transparent process, allowing deserving candidates to secure their spots in their chosen programs.
The counselling and admission process will vary depending on the university. Candidates are advised to check the specific admission process for the universities to which they are applying on the official websites of the universities.
To ensure a smooth admission process through CUET, the first step is to carefully review and assess the CUET eligibility criteria. It’s important to note that only candidates who have met the specified criteria will be considered for admission. Therefore, take the time to thoroughly read the document and understand the requirements to maximize your chances of a successful application. Your attention to detail will greatly contribute to a seamless admission process.
In conclusion, the CUET entrance exam provides a fair evaluation process with carefully designed exam patterns and a unique scoring mechanism. The admission process ensures equal opportunity for deserving candidates to secure their spots in their chosen programs. By reviewing and meeting the eligibility criteria, applicants can increase their chances of a successful application. CUET paves the way for aspiring students to embark on a rewarding academic journey at esteemed universities.